Time to say goodbye to 2009!
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Dyed my hair purple. Turned 18.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
No! I never do. But that doesn’t really stop me from trying, or coming up with new ones! I never learn, I guess. My big one for the year is:
♥ Whenever I’m sad, to just stop being sad and start being awesome.
Okay, maybe that’s a quote from Barney Stinson of How I Met Your Mother fame, but it still holds true.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Nope, but 2009 has been the year of celebrity and character deaths. My favorite bands broke up and I get a little mopey about that, but that’s not really the same thing.
5. What countries did you visit?
None! I’m quite boring. But I moved to Philadelphia for college, and have gone to New York and Boston. It’s been exciting, I’ve never been on the East Coast before!
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A single! No, I’m kidding, I love my roommate, she’s like a perpetual explosion of energy. A jetsetting summer would be ace though.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Oh no, I don’t remember anything! I remember my first day at Bryn Mawr and how completely terrified I was, and how extremely determined I was to not show it. (Caroline, Jess, you were and continue to be lifesavers.) I think I’ll always remember Thanksgiving, that was by far the best holiday I’ve had in years. Thanks, guys, for being awesome.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting into college! Sometimes I think about making it this far and I get a little dizzy. The only thing that makes me feel better is thinking about how much further I have to go. Honestly, I’m not ready to leave the nice, safe arms of academia. (Oh dear.)
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not updating this blog. No, no. I fell behind on health. I’m super unhealthy and it’s making me really unhappy. I can’t wait to get back to college and start walking again.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I was super sick for the beginning of the school year. Not fun!
11. What was the best thing someone bought you?
A new life! I had to do so much shopping for college and with everything I bought it really did feel like I was picking things out for a life of my own. Silly!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Books, makeup, clothes. Same place it always goes, I’m dreadfully shallow. Not to mention: textbooks eat my soul.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
The cover that Glee did of Don’t Stop Believin’. The pilot for that show aired and the internet exploded (in love or hate, whichever)!
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? The former.
b) fatter or skinner? The former.
c) richer or poorer? The latter. Oh no!
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Writing! Hanging out with the people I love.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Procrastinating. Hanging out with the people I don’t love.
20. How do you plan to spend Christmas?
For 2010? I might spend the winter holiday at Bryn Mawr, I’m not too sure yet. I like being home, but I’m outgrowing the place (literally! there’s no place for me to live here).
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
No, not really. But it’s kickstarted what will be an amaing 2010, I am super positive.
22. How many one night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
Castle, definitely. I love Beckett and Castle’s dynamic duo.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope. I’ve learned how to avoid people who I don’t like, and try to hang out with people I DO like! Life is much more pleasant that way.
25. What was the best book you read?
Oh god, I’ve fallen behind on reading. Hmm. Maybe Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Lady Gaga! I’m not too sure if she counts since EVERYONE knows her, but her albums make my head explode with sheer glee. I want to be her one day and assume the title of Queen No Pants!
27. What did you want and get?
Everything, but still not enough. That’s what 2010’s going to be for!
28. What did you want and not get?
Nothing! I’m quite spoiled, haha.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Jennifer’s Body. Gross, I know! But it made me laugh and no other movie has been as fun for me.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 18 and I had two parties! One at college, where I was showered with candy and went out to dinner with my friends. The other was with a good friend at home, where we and a lot of friends ate some delicious Korean BBQ.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Time management for sure!
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Purple. Lots of purple.
33. What kept you sane?
My friends. The internet. Books on people who’re more insane than I am. Certain songs. And a lot of hair dye.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Pshh…what a tawdry question. But I’ll answer it anyway. Lady Gaga, who I didn’t really get until I saw the video for Bad Romance – and then I was gone. She is my very favorite celebrity ever!
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Prop 8 and its fallouts and backlashes. I know, it’s a 2008 issue, but there’ve been lots of things going on this year to do with gay rights.
36. Who do you miss?
Oh god, so many people! Now that we’re in college, all my friends have scattered everywhere. I guess it’s good then that we appreciate the time we have together during vacations.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
Ooh, what a loaded question. All the people I met at Bryn Mawr! They’ve all been uniformly fabulous and amazing.
38. What was the best thing you ate?
This amazing sushi. But Thanksgiving came pretty close. Some of the foods were weird but it was wonderful to eat with my friends instead of the usually awkward affairs that holiday dinners are with my family.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009?
There are other people who are real. Remember that and you’ll never be alone.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
You’re gonna go far, kid, BOOM BOOM BOOM.