Happy Goth Christmas everyone! The leaves are orange, the pumpkins are being lobotomized, & Jack Skellington might come knocking on your door.
I kicked off Halloween last night with Nightmare Before Christmas (directed by Henry Selick of Coraline fame) with a few friends. One girl was working on her costume – she’s ringing in Halloween by going as a Cheshire Cat mental asylum escapee. Purple-striped straitjacket? FABULOUS. I am super envious of her ability to sew. (Tonight I up the scary with The Shining & Silence of the Lambs. If I don’t have nightmares, I will be super disappointed!)
I stopped trick-or-treating a few years ago when I got too old to be greeted at doors with anything other than skepticism & frowns. Without the prospect of candy, a lot of my friends are sitting this Halloween out – they’re too busy, too tired, or don’t have anything to go as. Ludicrous! I used to be one of them – too lazy, too bored, plus it didn’t help that in high school Halloween almost inevitably fell on a Monday night. But it’s easy to throw together a costume with just the contents of your wardrobe, no expense needed – especially in college, where you have access to not only your closet, but the closets of your roommate(s) and friends!
Go as a favorite character. When I was little I loved Francesca Lia Block’s books, in particular I Was A Teenage Fairy, but I always adored Witch Baby & her crazy mother Weetzie Bat. I considered going as Weetzie Bat for some time but realized I was too lazy even for that (whoops), but here’s a quick & easy costume:
- One (1) dress. I used my altered prom dress because it’s a deep shade of shimmery blue. Weetzie wears 50’s style taffeta dresses, but this was the closest I could get. I also printed out lines from Francesa Lia Block’s books. Weetzie writes poetry in glitter on her dress but if you don’t want to ruin your dress, consider safety pinning lines into your dress. Get crazy & creative – make designs, get subtle, get awesome.
- One (1) pair of boots. Weetzie wears cowboy boots but since I didn’t have those, I borrowed my friend’s.
- Bleach/dye. This bit is optional, but if you don’t mind dying your hair, head to your nearest CVS & scoop up some cheap bleach. You might want to buy toner too, just in case.
- One (1) pair of Lolita sunglasses. No one I knew had these, but I borrowed some enormous, red sunglasses from another friend & stuck them on my head.
- White/silver eye shadow. Dust it over your eyelids. On your cheeks. On your lips. EVERYWHERE.
- Accessories. This is totally up to you – Weetzie Bat is a bit crazy, which means you can be as crazy as you want. Things that dangle, jangle, & chime. Things that sparkle. Things you wish you could wear every day – well tonight, you can.
Throw it all together the day of. Zip up your boots, throw your shoulders back & your chin up. Go forth & be awesome, & maybe you’ll find your Secret Agent Lover Man.
your friendly neighborhood supergoddess